This is a super easy crockpot white bean chicken chili recipe that is filled with flavor. In this recipe, chicken is seasoned with Mexican spices, combined with white beans, onions, garlic, green chilies, and slow cooked all day. The flavors mingle into a delicious mild chili.
I am addicted to this recipe. It provides a hearty and flavorful meal with plenty of leftovers to freeze for another meal later. Plus it is a huge timesaver in the kitchen because the slow cooker does most of the work.
Tips for Making White Bean Chicken Chili
The recipe uses canned peppers and beans for convenience, but you can easily substitute fresh ingredients:
Chile Peppers: Anaheim peppers add a nice mild heat and sweet green chile flavor to this recipe. Substitute about 6 whole Anaheim or New Mexican type peppers for the canned. Prepare your Anaheim peppers by roasting and peeling the skins, then seed, chop, and add to your slow cooker.
Go ahead and roast the jalapeño peppers too. Roasting adds a bit of sweet and smoky flavor. No need to peel jalapeños, but you can remove the seeds for a mild chili, or keep the seeds for some extra heat.
White Beans: I am a big fan of Great Northern white beans for recipes. Great Northern beans have a mild flavor and firm flesh. Perfect for intermingling with the flavors of foods they are cooked with, and they tend to hold their shape when looked for a long period. Preparing dried beans ahead of time assures you will always have some ready for recipes. Add home canned dried beans or frozen cooked dried beans to your slow cooker.
Chicken Stock: Chicken stock is handy to keep in the freezer or pantry shelves.
Adding More Heat: This white bean chicken chili recipe is very mild chili. Add more diced jalapeños if you want more heat. Or drizzle with hot sauce at serving time.
Steps to Make White Bean Chicken Chili
Step 1: Combine the Seasoning
Add the chili powder, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, pepper, and kosher salt to a small bowl and mix well to combine.
Step 2: Season the Chicken
Dust the chicken on both sides with about half the seasoning, and place the breasts into the slow cooker.
Step 3: Add the Chili Ingredients
Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno, white beans, green chilies, chicken stock, and the rest of the seasoning.
Save the lime juice, corn, sour cream, and cheddar cheese until the end of the cooking time.
Step 4: Cook the Chili
Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 2-4 hours, or until the chicken is done and shreds easily.
Step 5: Shred the Chicken
Pull out the cooked chicken breasts and shred by placing two forks back to back and pulling the meat apart. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker.
Step 6: Add the Remaining Ingredients
Add lime juice, corn, sour cream and cheddar cheese to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes, or until chili is thick and creamy.
Crockpot White Bean Chicken Chili
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeño diced (wear gloves)
- 2 15 oz. cans Great Northern white beans drained and rinsed (or 4 cups cooked beans)
- 1 7 oz. can green chilies diced (or 1 cup roasted green chilies)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (about half a lime)
- 1 cup corn fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- Toppings of choice: See Notes
- In a small bowl, add the chili powder, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, pepper, and kosher salt. Mix well to combine.
- Sprinkle the chicken with about half of the seasoning. Place the seasoned chicken breasts into the slow cooker.
- Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno, white beans, green chilies, chicken stock, and the remaining seasoning.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 2-4 hours, or until the chicken is done and shreds easily.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker to a plate, and shred by placing two forks back to back and pulling the meat apart. Return the shredded chicken to the crock pot.
- Add lime juice, corn, sour cream and cheddar cheese to the crock pot and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes, or until chili is thick and creamy. Serve with your toppings of choice. Makes 8 servings.
- Store leftovers in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
You May Also Like
- Easy Slow Cooker Chili
- Roasted Garlic White Bean Dip
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Garlic and Cheddar Stuffed Mushrooms
What a lovely comfort food for colder weather. My husband would love this recipe!
Megan Stevens says
Oh my goodness, I think you’ve achieved perfection here. That texture and such yummy ingredients!! Total comfort food, and I love crockpot recipes; thanks!
I love crockpot meals with chili. This is the ultimate comfort food for colder months!
Love all of the flavours in this! Looks like the perfect comfort food!
Carol Little R.H. @studiobotanica says
Love this recipe! Looks easy and very flavour-packed!
I have a slow cooker and a new Instant Pot so will see if I can transfer recipe to iPot and try next weekend!!