Fried Green Tomatoes
In this fried green tomatoes recipe, unripe tomatoes are coated with a seasoned cornmeal breading and pan-fried until crispy. These super crunchy tomato slices are addictive and can be enjoyed as a snack, side dish, or sandwich topping.
Servings: 4 people
Bowl 2: Egg Coating
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
Prep the ingredients:
Rinse the tomatoes and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Discard the ends.
Place the tomato slices in a single layer on a clean kitchen towel, cover with another towel, and press gently to blot excess moisture. Let sit while you prepare the breading.
Bowl 1: Add the flour, salt, and pepper to a medium bowl. Mix well.
Bowl 2: Crack the egg into a medium bowl, add milk, and scramble lightly to combine.
Bowl 3: Combine the cornmeal, breadcrumbs, flour, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika.
Bread the tomatoes:
Drop each tomato slice into the flour bowl and coat completely with flour.
Lift the tomato from the flour, shake off extra flour, and drop into the egg mixture. Flip to coat entirely.
Remove the tomato, let the extra egg drip off, and then drop it into the cornmeal mixture and coat completely.
Remove the breaded tomato slices and place it on a plate. Repeat with the remaining tomato slices.
Fry the green tomatoes:
Heat about 1/4 inch of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Toss a bit of the cornmeal breading into the oil to test the heat. If it sizzles, the oil is ready.
Place the breaded tomatoes into the frying pan in a single layer without touching. Fry until brown, about 3-5 minutes. Flip and fry the other side. Remove and drain on paper towels.
Repeat with the remaining breaded slices. Add more oil if needed and give it time to heat up in between batches.
Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
• Baked Fried Green Tomatoes Variation: Place the breaded green tomatoes on two large baking sheets coated well with olive oil non-stick spray or line with parchment paper. Spray the tomatoes with olive oil spray to encourage browning, and bake in a preheated 400˚F oven for about 15 minutes. Flip halfway through to brown on both sides.
• Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes Variation: Preheat the air fryer to 400˚F for 5 minutes. Spray the tomato slices lightly with olive oil spray. Place the breaded tomato slices in a single layer, sprayed side down on the air fryer basket. Spray the tops, and cook until crispy, about 8 minutes. Flip halfway through to cook evenly.
Here are a few dipping sauces that mix up quickly:
- Garlic Aioli Sauce: Combine 1 cup mayonnaise, 2 cloves grated garlic, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Sriracha Mayonnaise: Combine 1 cup mayonnaise, 3 tablespoons Sriracha chili sauce. 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 clove grated garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Comeback Sauce: 3/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup chili sauce, 1 clove grated garlic, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
Serving: 1tomato | Calories: 275kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 8.5g | Saturated Fat: 2.2g | Cholesterol: 96mg | Sodium: 745mg | Potassium: 667mg | Fiber: 5.7g | Sugar: 3g | Calcium: 100mg