The garden has had a rough couple of weeks and I am ready to clean it up and put the beds to rest for the winter. Just as the tomatoes were hitting their peak, I spotted late blight on some of the foliage at the top of the Amish Paste plants. These are the tomatoes I attempted to salvage:
I found myself plucking out the bad ones one by one until eventually they all had to go. I am disappointed that my tomato season was cut short, but glad the disease struck at the end of the growing season instead of the beginning. At least I was able to harvest some tomatoes before the disease hit.
On a brighter note, the second half of the spring carrot bed was harvested and amounted to another 15 pounds of carrots. I thought the bed was half Yaya and half another variety, but I found there were still a lot of Yaya carrots left:
The remainder of the carrot bed was planted with a mystery Imperator type variety (I failed to note what it was). The batch was pretty inconsistent in size and thickness but there were a lot of them. Many were still very skinny, about the width of a pencil even though they had all summer to fill out:
Some carrots were left out for fresh eating to fill the gap until the fall carrots are ready. But the majority of this harvest was canned and added to storage:
The fall raspberries are beginning to ripen and we are battling the insects to harvest the ripe ones. About a handful are enjoyed each day:
The Concord Grape production this year was less than stellar. We need to do some major pruning to get the vines into shape once again. We did have enough for a few quarts of grape juice:
Most of the potatoes remain beneath the soil, but I harvest some here and there for fresh eating:
This concludes the garden harvests this week. Visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting.